Napranum is a small Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community located around nine km south of Weipa.
Formerly known as Weipa South, Napranum was established in 1898 by Moravian missionaries on behalf of the Presbyterian Church. Napranum is now governed by a local Aboriginal council. In 1990, the Weipa South community became known as Napranum, which translates as ‘meeting place’ and is currently home to around 1,100 people. Some of the traditional owner groups include Anathangayth, Alngith, Peppan, Thanakwithi, Wathyn and Wik Waya.